Who we are
The National Barley Foods Council (NBFC) is a not-for-profit 501(a) group based in Spokane, WA. The NBFC was established in 1989 to serve as an information clearinghouse for barley food issues and to promote awareness and usage of barley on behalf of the US barley industry.
Throughout the years, the NBFC has worked in concert with US barley producers to reach significant goals in our quest to increase consumption of barley as a healthful and practical food choice. Key accomplishments include:
Looking to the future
- Submitted an unqualified health claim petition titled “Barley B-glucan Soluble Fiber and Barley Products Containing B-glucan Soluble Fiber and Coronary Heart Disease” to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA subsequently amended CFR 101.81, the regulation authorizing a health claim on the relationship between oat beta-glucan soluble fiber and reduced risk of coronary heart disease to include barley as an additional eligible source of beta-glucan soluble fiber. A final ruling was published in the Federal Register on May 22, 2006.
- Established the Barley Foods Research Steering Committee to provide technical assistance in identifying and directing future barley foods research projects.
- Collaborated with the National Barley Improvement Committee and the Barley Foods Research Steering Committee to secure funding in the US Department of Agriculture/Agriculture Research Services budget for on-going barley foods research.
- Delivered health and culinary messages about barley to consumers and food/nutrition professionals across the US through media outreach campaigns.
- Created and maintained an online news and information resource for barley food and nutrition issues.
The NBFC is committed to help expand new markets for food barley through on-going education programs geared towards:
For more information
- Food manufacturers
- Health and nutrition professionals
- Foodservice operators and distributors
For more information contact:
National Barley Foods Council
2702 W. Sunset Blvd.
Spokane, WA 99224
Phone: (509) 456-2481
Meet these state barley producer groups
The NBFC has enjoyed a long and fruitful history with a number of state barley producers in a concerted effort to educate consumers and food/nutrition professionals about the benefits of barley as a viable food product. In addition to working together on national projects, each of these groups works to promote barley within their individual states through a variety of educational, market development and research initiatives. For more information, we invite you to visit their websites:
Idaho Barley Commission
Montana Wheat & Barley Committee
North Dakota Barley Council
Oregon Grains Commission
Washington Grain Commission
Barley Foods Research Steering Committee
In an effort to seek conclusive documentation of barley’s important health benefits, and to help direct future barley foods research and product development, the US barley industry, under the leadership of the NBFC, assembled the Barley Foods Research Steering Committee. This group included barley producers, nutrition professionals and scientists representing private industry, the United States Department of Agriculture-Agriculture Research Service and academia.
The committee identified a number of goals and activities to pursue on behalf of the US barley industry. These included:
- Compile and review existing barley research
- Seek new funding to conduct additional barley foods research
- Identify new research priorities
For more information, please contact: